Sabado, Disyembre 7, 2013

Learning to Learn


"How do my students learn?” is one of the most important questions of a teacher as she prepares each lesson. Truth is people learn differently regardless of their age level. 

I believe that every person is unique and as a teacher it is a responsibility to bring out that uniqueness and not suppress them. Not because adults are ADULTS, teachers always use lecture method and less variety of activities. They should also receive the same effort just as how the preschool teachers prepare for their lessons and what better ways to do it is to discover their learning styles.

Every teacher would like students to learn at their best at the most minimal time and to learn “how they learn?” will pave the way for students to achieve short and long-term learning.

As Benjamin Franklin said “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.”

For me, I would rather incorporate the learning styles which kinesthetic, visual and auditory are the most common in order for my students to learn at their best.

As one study in University in Texas found that people remember (Metcalf 1997):  

10 percent of what they read;

20 percent of what they hear;

30 percent of what they see;

50 percent of what they see and hear;

70 percent of what they say; and

90 percent of what they do and say



*source: Metcalf, T. (1997) Listening to your clients, Life Association News, 92(7) p16 - 18

4 (na) komento:

  1. "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.”---i thought this is one of the proverbs or Chinese sayings...
    Yeah, i definitely agree with this saying, involvement produces learning. But maybe it's still depend on their learning style, am I right? I am confused.

    TumugonBurahin
    Mga Tugon
    1. I think, students even with different learning styles can learn through being involved. So it's the task of the teacher to create different learning activities that would involve all her students (with different learning styles). :)

      Burahin
  2. Thank u for this good reminder xenia. It is really good that we involve our students in the learning process. We should help them think.
    It is the task of the teacher to stir the minds of the students to be able to create a learning environment...a community of learners :)

    TumugonBurahin
  3. It is true that a good educator is focused on how his or her learners learn. The means and the methods are very important, nevertheless educators even religious ones, can be so focused with methods and forgetting that learners are personal being with a unique and sometimes very specific needs. We (educators) can always pray and hope to deal with people especially our students in a way that could edify not only their cognitive part, but more of their whole being. Let's make it our mission to extend, be flexible and reach out in a holistic manner.

    TumugonBurahin